When you are planning to renovate an old house or are concerned with the present property, you may consider going for asbestos Health testing. Asbestos is nothing but a building material that was significantly used in the 1970s. Once the deadly symptoms were recognised, several property owners tried removing this hazardous substance from their properties.
Several companies can help you monitor and treat areas of your property that may be contaminated with asbestos. In any case, if you find asbestos in your home, better not to touch it. It may pose a threat at home when disturbed Health in any way possible.
In several cases, the occurrence of asbestos-containing materials in the home is of low risk, given the material is not damaged. When the material is not at the stage of deterioration, chances are there of not showing any symptoms of wear and tear. For instance, internal asbestos-like on cement sheet walls that are in damaged condition but coated with paint have low risk towards health.
Conditions For Asbestos Removal
You need to consider a few points before going out for an asbestos removal path. If the material containing asbestos at home is in good condition, then the safest way forward is to leave them alone. It is important to explore the materials from time to time for inspecting deterioration. Below are some of the conditions you need to keep in mind before going for the asbestos removal path.
- Make an inspection of the material; if the property is undamaged, there is no need of taking up the removal process. However, if the property is damaged, then probably you should take a chance.
- Make sure you know a few of the alternatives for asbestos removal like sealing, covering, or painting.
- Are you aware of the safety and legal procedures related to working of asbestos?
- Do you need a license for the asbestos removal path process to occur?
Why is it important to Handle Asbestos Safely?
The exposure of asbestos may lead to several health-related diseases. It may cause malignant mesothelioma, lung cancer, etc. When asbestos is airborne, then it becomes difficult to identify the toxic fibres and cannot be seen through the naked eyes.
Anybody may get exposed to it without knowing about the same. Fibres that get exposed are inhaled and in turn get mixed with the linings of the organs, including the abdomen, lungs, heart, etc.
While the use of asbestos has reduced owing to extensive regulations, product bans, etc., still people may get exposed to this harmful substance. The third wave exposure is the most severe one when someone can get exposed to the asbestos dust present in the finished products.
Products which are in proper Health condition and are completely intact are mostly considered to be safe. However, it needs to monitor for possible wear or tear or any other damages. If damaged, those items are at huge risk of exposing asbestos in the air.
In such a situation, it is recommended to get expert advice from an asbestos abatement company, to assess the situation and if required, perform encapsulation or a complete removal process of those materials.
Places Where Asbestos Can Be Detected
Asbestos can be found on a variety of products that can range from products like those of building supplies, automotive parts to consumer items such as ironing board, covers, etc. According to the EPA, back in 1985, about 20 % of the private and public buildings contained asbestos. This estimate was made based on a national survey EPA to address the issue. The agency also stated that buildings constructed during the 1960s were at the peak of containing asbestos.
Asbestos Do’s and Don’ts For The Homeowner
- Make sure you don’t leave any damaged material or property to exposure into the air
- Restraint activities near the areas having damaged material covered with asbestos. Strictly maintain a distance to such materials if you have children at home
- Take advice or you can consult experts for handling asbestos
- Don’t sweep or dust as the surface might contain asbestos
- Don’t make use of abrasive brushes on power strippers to strip the wax from flooring asbestos
- It is advisable not to monitor or track the material which may contain asbestos. If you cannot avoid that area, try to clean it using a wet mop
Repairing of the Asbestos problem involves either covering or sealing the material damaged. Covering, on the other hand, involves placing something around the material to prevent the release of fibres.